Do you have a hard time staying active during the winter? This can be a problem for most. Who wants to work out or even go outside when it’s cold, snowy, or rainy? Motivation to exercise can feel much lower this time of year, but perhaps a change in scenery is just what you need to re-engage with the chilly weather. Lots of people seek out warmer climates during the winter, but there’s plenty of beautiful snowy destinations that can help keep you active too!
So, we thought it would be a great idea to put together a list of places to visit with fun winter activities to help keep you fit! The list below comprises some of the best winter resorts in North America and abroad. Everyone typically thinks of skiing or snowboarding as the only exercise option the temperature drops, but there are so many other ways to enjoy all the magical bliss winter has to offer. There are lots of different winter adventures to be had—sometimes, the best ones are simply curling up by a fire and gazing out the window at a beautiful mountain view.
Keep in mind, this list is not exhaustive or complete. There are hundreds of fantastic winter activity destinations. Did we miss your favorite? Tell us your favorite winter destination in the comments!
Crystal Mountain, Washington https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/
- Travel nearly 2,500 ft for a bird’ s-eye view on the Mt. Rainier Gondola.
- Enjoy a guided snowshoe tour around Henskin Lake.
Jackson Hole, Wyoming https://www.jacksonhole.com/
- Participate in snowshoeing, dog sledding, snowmobiling, paragliding, and tubbing.
- Spy moose and bison near the Grand Teton National Park.
- Enjoy a day at the spa or the nightlife in town.
Jay Peak Resort, Vermont https://jaypeakresort.com/
- Try snowshoeing, sledding, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and ice skating!
- Enjoy live music shows in Foeger Ballroom, with ice skating shows in the theater.
- Swim in the indoor water park with a one-of-a-kind exhilarating free-fall ride called La Chute.
Keystone Resort, Colorado https://www.keystoneresort.com/
- Visit one of the largest outdoor skating rinks in America.
- Take your family tubing, snow biking, or riding on a horse-drawn sleigh.
Park City Mountain Resort, Utah https://www.parkcitymountain.com/
- Experience some of the best snow on earth.
- Race down the Olympic bobsled track.
- Stay in a Viking yurt in the middle of a winter wonderland.
Sun Valley Resort, Idaho https://www.sunvalley.com/
- Skate on the same ice that has hosted countless Olympians.
- Swim in the Lodge Pool, which offers après ski cocktail service poolside.
Fairmont Banff Springs, Alberta, Canada https://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/
- Take in beautiful scenery in the Canadian Rockies.
- Participate in several winter activities like ice skating, canyon ice walks, sleigh rides, dog sledding, ice fishing, gondola rides, and helicopter tours.
Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada https://www.tremblant.ca/
- Explore one of the top resorts in eastern North America every year.
- Walk the village and make a stop at one of the many international eateries.
Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia, Canada https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/
- Take advantage of snowmobile tours or try a suspension bridge hike.
- Ride the resorts signature activity—the Peak 2 Peak Gondola ride.
Zermatt, Switzerland https://www.zermatt.ch/en
- Experience adventure by going ice climbing, ice skating, or playing ice hockey.
- Go on a mountain excursion or a 10-minute toboggan run.
- View the Matterhorn, arguably one of the most impressive and picturesque mountains in the entire world.
- Visit the famous Igloo Bar that’s made almost entirely out of ice.