Moringa seed oil is all the buzz right now in the cosmetic world. With its antioxidant properties, it makes sense that we’d use it on our lips. Our lips are a unique part of the body; the skin is thin, allowing the blood vessels to be visible giving them the red coloring we see. The lips have no oil glands (oil glands act as a barrier for our skin helping to protect from elements) making our lips like a sponge, they absorb water and plump up when hydrated, but when they become dehydrated they dry out and become chapped. Chapped lips, when left untreated, can crack, bleed, and be very painful.
When choosing a lip balm, you want to use one that will hydrate with all-natural ingredients. Here are a few beneficial ingredients:
- Moringa oil is moisturizing for sensitive skin of the lips and helps them retain their softness.
- Moringa Butter protects the skin barrier from damage and works to hydrate, smooth, and moisturize sensitive lip skin and helps lips retain softness.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant and a natural conditioner
- Sunflower seed oil is high in fatty acids that promote soft, smooth-looking lips.
- Jojoba oil is waxy oil that can form a barrier that helps lock moisture into the lips.
Just like the rest of our skin, our lips need to be exfoliated to get rid of dead skin and help keep them hydrated. It may sound repetitive to exfoliate and apply a lip balm, but it is actually more effective than just using a hydrating lip balm alone. Looking for a great and natural way to do this? Look no further, below is an all-natural peppermint lip scrub.
All-Natural Peppermint Lip Scrub
- 2 tsp sugar white or brown
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 drop GenM® Zija Pure Skin oil
- 3 drops Améo® Peppermint Essential Oil
- Mix the sugar, coconut oil, honey, Zija oil and peppermint essential oil together in a small bowl using a spoon or fork.
- Transfer the mixture to a small container. You can add more or less of some of the ingredients to get the consistency you like.
- Scoop out approximately 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the scrub, and gently rub it into your lips in a circular motion. Continue for about 30 seconds, and then gently wipe your lips clean.
- Finish off with a hydrating lip balm.
With these summer months heating up its best to treat our lips daily as it can heal and prevent chapped lips. After all, we all need those perfect smoochers!