As we begin to make our way around the globe for summer vacations, business, and family trips, it is extremely important to remember the benefits of hydration. In fact, oftentimes when we think we are hungry, we are actually dehydrated. When traveling, it is sometimes even more difficult to get enough to drink due to our busy schedules and the fact that we just don’t think about it!
Making a conscious effort to hydrate will have multiple benefits for us:
- Keeps our metabolism revving, therefore, our fitness goals are easier to achieve when we are drinking water versus eating that tempting donut for sale near the terminal gate.
- Drinking enough liquids flushes our body of toxins.
- Hydration helps keep our skin moist, healthy-looking, and elastic.
- We feel satisfied drinking enough instead of mistaking thirst for hunger.
- Hydration keeps our muscles energized and lubricated for that next workout. Sometimes the workout is the number of steps you are taking at the airport alone.
With all of the unhealthy options we reach for at the airport, due to conveniency, if we fail to plan, we plan to fail. By taking an extra 20 to 30 minutes before travel by packing some healthy, easy options, we can avoid sabotaging our fitness progress that we work so hard for each day. Some ideas are:
- 1/2 cup raw, uncooked oatmeal individually packed in baggies with cinnamon.
- Asparagus, raw yams, or celery cut up to easily access on your carry on.
- Small apples, plums, or oranges.
- Almonds, peanuts, and Brazilian nuts.
- Individually packaged peanut butter, almond butter, or hummus for fruit and veggies.