With the frigid winter chill kicking in, our humidity levels drop dramatically. As a matter of fact, air holds 3 times more moisture (good for your skin) in warm weather, which means your skin will soon be crying out for more hydration this winter. The natural response is to begin piling on product after product to keep your skin from feeling like it will crack. But, what is more important than how many products you use, is the type of ingredients you are applying.
- Emollients fill in the spaces between skin cells to give skin a softer and smoother texture.
- Occlusives help create an invisible barrier to keep moisture from escaping.
- Humectants are valued in skin care because of their ability to draw moisture to the skin.
- Antarcticine is a glycoprotein that was discovered in the waters off of Antarctica. Everything in this region is frozen but buried deep in the waters scientist discovered sea life, they believe to be thousands of years old, still moist and thriving. This natural protein builds a protective barrier around cells and harnesses moisture that extends cell life. This protein is clinically proven to help prevent moisture loss and nourish the skin so it can feed collagen and elastin in the skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid is notable for its ability to hold 1000 times its own weight, in moisture. Because this cushioning and lubricating molecule is naturally found in our own tissue—it makes it ideal for skin care.
- Vegetable Glycerin is present in all natural lipids and is able to bond to other humectants, and emollients, to leave skin with a smooth texture.